Classroom Discussion about Mistakes
Classroom discussion on how students feel about making mistakes and why.
Sometimes it’s important to simply tell students that you love mistakes because that’s how students learn. Start the class with a lesson on why you like mistakes and what students can learn from them. Lead a discussion on how students feel about making a mistake and why.
Here are a few discussion points to get you started:
- How do you feel when you make a mistake? Why?
- How do you think other people see you when you make a mistake?
- Have you ever discovered something new from making a mistake?
- Have you ever felt proud of making a mistake?
- Has a mistake ever made you think deeply about a problem? (You can start by talking about a non-academic setting, and then talk about how the lessons apply to academics).
Additional Resources: Mistake Activity Ideas from the Growth Mindset for Educators Course
Subjects: Math, English / Lit., Science, Social Studies, Other
Time of year: Beginning
Class period: Beginning